Wednesday, November 19, 2008

November 20, 2008 10:40AM (11:40P 11-19-08 EST)



November 20, 2008

It’s winter here!

Yesterday was court and the judge granted the adoption!
So relieved!

E’s been growing like crazy…

Last Friday the babyhouse held a big “walking ceremony” where some of the older children dressed in traditional Kazakh outfits and danced a traditional Kazakh dance. They sang their national anthem and two girls recited some verses.

Three little walkers were celebrated, E being the newest one to navigate independently on two legs. It was so cute.

He had on a Kazakh vest and somehow KNEW this was all about him. He watched, in awe, the older kids run around. I believe he’s only been around adults and other children his age. In seeing this, he let go of my hand and just franken-walked around the room, socializing, being charming. No one’s ever seen him so animated before, it was a special day!

They had a rope made out of yarn at the babyhouse, tied it around his legs, then the head Doctor made a speech, sort of blessing him, then cut the rope. I have the rope, one piece of which I wore on my wrist during court and they gave him the vest, which normally doesn’t happen. Very special.

Two days after the ceremony, during my visit, he walked to the middle of the floor, plopped down on his butt, then proceeded to show me how he can now get up onto two legs without having to use a chair or my hands…then walked, BEAMING, back to me!

Unfortunately though, the day of the ceremony, after I said “packa-packa”, he fell on something sharp and put a pretty deep gash right next to his right eye…poor thing. I hadn’t left the babyhouse at that point and as you can imagine, was horrified to see him being rushed to the nurses room all bloodied.

I held him until he stopped crying...the wonders of a rattling distraction he can hold in his hand (box of baby vitamins/aspirin). Initially they put a little glass beaker in his hand, but that’s no fun.

He’s healing well, but I’m not sure if there will be a scar. No butterfly bandage or stitches.

He’s a brave little guy. He enjoys being in my arms for a good portion of my visit these days…ever since a particular day last week, Thursday I think it was. I am so happy he is allowing me to sooth and comfort him. It’s hard for the caregivers to give enough physical attention to the children, but they do so well with what they have.

Thanks for all your great messages...I'm off to see my son!

3 comments:

Susan said...

awww man..i get so teary eyed reading your posts.

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS on making it thru court (so loved how you wore the string around your wrist from the walking ceremony!!) and hearing about how he's walkign so well. Leeza is at the point now where she will want to walk on her own-without us prompting her-but still needs to pull up on something-but it's so cute!! I love the look of accomplishment and pride on their lil faces!

yikes-poor E on his accident-the first of many most likely-but glad his mom was there to comfort him!
We got real lucky with Sean-he was not a climber or a risk taker and really never had anything major happen to him.

Leeza is MUCH more of a risk taker though so we'll see with her...

I was telling Sean this morning that at 18 months, I took him to his first movie-The Tigger Movie-and he sat thru it, enthralled. He would let me read him books all snuggled up to me.

Leeza-not the same child. She will let me read to her, but only when she is on the potty, contained-and will rarely let me get thru the whole book before she hands me another one. She is not interested in videos at all-she's way too busy and curious. As far as cuddling to read a book-nope-she likes to play sitting in my lap or near me-and will cuddle to drink or milk or eat or even watch a 10 minutes of football with Dad-but not like Sean would.
It's really interesting to watch their personalities develop.

In what i hear about Ermeck and what I saw-he reminds me a lot of Sean. He's very sweet, very cool-laid back, and very much thrives on momma's love.
I actually cried on the way to school cuz I was so proud of Sean and he says "MOm, you are all happy then you start crying!!!" I just can't help it-sometimes he has some wisdom and maturity and sweetness that I get emotional. I'm writing a novel here, but I wanted to share because I see so much of Sean in your son . :)

Granted, there are times I could kill him and his smart mouth-but MOST of the time, he is very sweet and I cherish my time with him.
I cannot wait to follow along as E grows up and see who he becomes...you and he will be so close....i can't wait.

ok, i will shutup now-really--

God bless you guys!

ps. love the winter photo's but i have to say-glad i was not there then--tooo wimpy! It's only 39 today (cold front) and I am in my cashmere sweater-and flip flops. :)

Flip said...

This is GREAT NEWS!!! GREAT NEWS!!!

Flip said...

I know the day is yesterday for you, but I wanted to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! I don't think you have to be in America to be thankful on this day! You will always remember the first Thanksgiving you spent with your son in 2008!!
Peace be with you and that special little boy!
oh..and Stac too! (Who I am sure is SO READY for you to get home!)

Clicky Web Analytics