Friday, September 5, 2008

Friday morning blog...

September 5, 2008: 1130AM (1:30 AM 9/5/08 EST)

I went to bed at 4:30AM & woke up around 8:30AM this morning. After a few cups of coffee, I’m feeling just fine to face the day.

I don’t think I mentioned this in my previous post:

The city apparently shuts off the hot water during the summer months until September 8…so I’ve been bathing with cold water since I arrived.

As tough as that sounds, it really isn’t bad. It just is.

Same with the coffee…it’s instant, but like with camping, it tastes good because that’s all I have. Maybe later I’ll go to a cafĂ© and enjoy a delicious cappuccino.

Back to the water…there is one more thing I’d like to mention. A few days before they turn on the hot water for the season, they will be completely shutting off the water. I was told it could be as early as today…

“DA! isssOK! no problem, spa-seebah” –my version of Russian. For some reason I think speaking English with a foreign accent makes me more understandable. Then the Brazilian hand gestures make it complete.

To prepare for such an event, I’ve filled up my 3 pots for “water stash”.

I purchased more towels and some cleaning sponges yesterday…I feel I have all my necessities in order.

I am meeting Zhanat (pronounced with a soft ‘j’ “Janaught”) at 12:30PM at the front of the Ministry of Education. She sounded deflated; same as yesterday afternoon when she left the place at 6:00pm. I don’t think any of us slept much.

I will write more later…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm dying to know what happened ...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Clicky Web Analytics